Libertarian Jackass

"Life is short, but truth works far and lives long; let us speak truth." -- Schopenhauer

Sunday, August 03, 2003

The most brilliant young economist in America?

If this guy is the most brilliant young economist in America, then the economists in America are pathetic. Well, actually, that sound about right!


"Steven Levitt tends to see things differently than the average person. Differently, too, than the average economist. This is either a wonderful trait or a troubling one, depending on how you feel about economists. The average economist is known to wax oracularly about any and all monetary issues. But if you were to ask Levitt his opinion of some standard economic matter, he would probably swipe the hair from his eyes and plead ignorance. ''I gave up a long time ago pretending that I knew stuff I didn't know,' he says. 'I mean, I just -- I just don't know very much about the field of economics. I'm not good at math, I don't know a lot of econometrics, and I also don't know how to do theory. If you ask me about whether the stock market's going to go up or down, if you ask me whether the economy's going to grow or shrink, if you ask me whether deflation's good or bad, if you ask me about taxes -- I mean, it would be total fakery if I said I knew anything about any of those things.''"

Previous Stories

» Government Changes The Emblem
» Paul Krugman is a fool! Let's examine the evidence...
» McCarthyism writes:"Actually the friend in the Roy...
» I just watched The Royal Tenenbaums. I'm not quite...
» U.S. Tells China To Get Rid Of The Free Market