Libertarian Jackass

"Life is short, but truth works far and lives long; let us speak truth." -- Schopenhauer

Sunday, November 14, 2004

DRUDGE FLOATED THE RUMOR on Friday that George W. Bush is currently reading ("thumbing through") Natan Sharansky's The Case for Democracy. I happened to be at Barnes&Nobles on Saturday evening, so I glanced through the introduction. I must say, if you throw the phrases "after 9/11" or "because of 9/11" or "everything changed with 9/11" in the first chapter, I'm probably going to toss your book across the Starbucks Cafe. He does have an interesting paragraph in which he summarizes his thoughts: "I am convinced that all people desire to be free. I am convinced that freedom anywhere will make the world safer everywhere. And I am convinced that democratic nations, led by the United States, have a critical role to play in expanding freedom around the globe."

Most of what he writes I cannot disagree with, except to say he (and most academics as well) use the word "democracy" as if it's interchangeable with "freedom." This is just not the truth in reality.

Previous Stories

» I FEEL BAD FOR DUMB REPUBLICANS Even Eminem has a ...
» LADIES LOVE FLOWERS Gentlemen, shower your lady wi...
» MORE FROM THE PIGS The Boston cops now say the of...
» "WHEN THE PIGS TRY TO GET AT YA, PARK IT LIKE IT'S...
» LOS ANGELES WANTS a sales tax to pay for more cops...
» KIERKAGAARD ON "AUTHENTIC EXISTENCE" An article wo...
» FUNNY QUESTION ASKED OF LJ: "Hey, if you are talki...
» THE REAL AGGRESSOR
» WHO REALLY DEFENDED AMERICA?
» WHAT IS STABILITY?