Libertarian Jackass

"Life is short, but truth works far and lives long; let us speak truth." -- Schopenhauer

Saturday, March 12, 2005

JONAH GOLDBERG ECONOMICS

Jonah thinks the War on Drugs drives up the price of drugs thus reducing consumption.

Me:I find this not only to be childish table pounding, but completely off-point. When did I say we could "save" everyone? When did I suggest such was my goal? In fact, which of my points is this guy actually refuting? Or even trying to refute? The fact that these people are drug addicts despite the War on Drugs is a point I would make for my case. That some water makes it over the dam is not an argument against having the dam. That some people choose this "way of death" despite all of the barriers we throw up, does not demonstrate that there would not be many, many more people like this if we took those barriers down. Easier access to cheaper drugs would not create fewer addicts -- at least not in the short run (I am open to the argument that in the long run society might find an equilibrium). There are some people who become slaves to drugs very quickly and the only reason many do not become so enslaved is that it is a relative hassle to get them and use them in the open. Take away the hassle factor -- i.e. lower the price -- and you will increase the consumption.
Just because the price of Good A is rising doesn't mean consumption of Good A is reduced. That's what my theory tells me. Drug tests Alcohol tests

Previous Stories

» HOUSE SHOPPING
» THE END OF POVERTY
» Smart women don't get married
» SALARIES OF THE top 30 NBA money earners.
» What does the government have to do with steroids ...
» DOING THE DOLLAR A FAVOR?
» BEST AGENCY TRACKING
» DEFINITIVE EVIDENCE OF A REAL ESTATE BOOM?
» THIS STORY MAKES ME WONDER
» My new shoes adidas